- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or Protected Person in Canada
- demonstrate financial need
- have completed high school level education, or equivalent, by Fall 2023
- be accepted to a post-secondary education program at an eligible institution* in Canada, attending Fall 2023
- be the first generation in their family to attend post-secondary education**
* Eligible post-secondary education institutions include apprenticeship or trades certificate or diploma; college, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma; university certificate or diploma below bachelor level; or an undergraduate university degree.
** First generation post-secondary education students are students whose parents did not attend post-secondary education (i.e. did not attend either college or university).